We know Nokia as a telecommunications brand popular in all corners of the world, with its slogan Nokia: Connecting People. But little has been said and made public about its beginnings. With all the chic and high-end Nokia mobile phones available in the global market today, don’t we wonder when, where and how the brand started?
Taking a closer look at the official Nokia website, one will discover that the Nokia story started by making paper – way back in 1865 when Fredrik Idestam, a Finnish mining engineer, built a wood pulp mill on Southern Finland’s Tammerkoski rapids’ banks. A second mill was built a few years later, by the Nokianvitra river, and this was where Nokia got its name.
Between 1865 and 1967, major developments took place such as the founding of Finnish Rubber and Cable works, which later on formally merged to create the Nokia Corporation in 1967. The new corporation’s movement to mobile communications happened between 1968 and 1991. Iconic products such as the Mobira Talkman portable phone and Mobira Cityman (the first handheld phone) were introduced to the market. In 1991, another history was recorded: Finnish Prime Minister Harri Holkeri used a Nokia equipment to make the world’s first GSM call (GSM stands for Global System for Mobile communications, which is the European standard for digital mobile technology). The years 1992 to 1999 saw Nokia just getting better and better, with the launching of the first GSM handset and Nokia tune, first satellite call, and the mobile phone Nokia 7110 being able to connect to the internet. Over the last decade up to the present, the story of Nokia continues with the launch of built-in camera and video capture feature, plus the invention of the 3G or “Third Generation” technology.
Mobile phones can do a lot more than just make calls with the 3G innovation. With latest mobile accessories & 3G, one can make video calls, download music, browse the web, and watch TV while mobile. These and so much other applications with just a click!
There are five key services areas which Nokia focuses on: Games, Media, Maps, Music and Messaging. All these can be accessed via Ovi. Ovi is Nokia’s Internet services brand. Ovi services and applications can be used from a mobile gadget, computer (through Ovi Suite) or through the web (Ovi.com).
Out of the hundreds of Nokia applications offered, let us just center on ten amazing ones:
1. Mail For Exchange. For the business savvy, this Nokia application allows you to easily organize your Microsoft Exchange calendar, contacts, email and tasks on your mobile devices. The latest Nokia models such as Nokia E72, Nokia E75, Nokia N8, Nokia C6, among others, have this application.
2. Microsoft Communicator Mobile. If you want and need to check the availability of your colleagues and start instant messaging conversation with them, then this Nokia application is for you. It uses a traffic light system which alerts you of your friends’ statuses and allows you to call, email or send them instant messages. There is no need for a new IT hardware plus this is easier to use if you are already familiar with Microsoft Communicator on your PCs.
3. Ovi Maps. Want to find where you are, where you’re going and how to get there? Then this cool application suits you. In just one click, you can instantly know your position on the map. It also allows you to find places and share locations. This is forever free navigation right on your phones.
4. Ovi Photo Sharing. This is perfect for all cam whores who want to immediately update family and friends of about recent activities. Ovi Share lets you store all your digital media, upload photos and videos, create albums and share them wherever you are.
5. Ovi Player. Music lovers will love this Nokia application. With Ovi Player, you can save all the songs you love on your phone – with ease on transferring, ripping and managing. It is the best way to transfer your music to and from the PC to your device. All you need to do is drag and drop the songs to create playlists then sync them to your mobile phone.
6. Handwriting Calculator. Now you can calculate mathematical expressions by simply writing down the numbers, just like what you do in papers. This is a showcase of the new handwriting recognition technology of Nokia.
7. Find Me. Know the current locations of your family and friends and get information on their movements in an instant.
8. Photo Edit. Straight on your device, you can add final touches to your photos by cropping, removing red eye, adjusting brightness or adding some clip art, then saving them to use as wallpapers or transfer to your PCs.
9. Air Painter. This is a hip gizmo that uses an accelerometer, which lets you select a brush then “paint” on a black or white wall in any direction you wish to.
10. Amazon Video on Demand. Choose among 40,000+ movie and TV videos and experience home entertainment straight from your handset! All you need to do is download the player, download the videos you want then transfer the videos on your device.
I have just given you ten Nokia phone applications which I believe are equally amazing and useful for every Nokia mobile phone user. Hope you get to experience them straight on your handsets. Enjoy!
This Article is written by John C Arkin, contributor of PrintCountry News Articles.