Now that you have an iPhone all you want to do is customize every bit about it to have a more personal feel. You add wallpapers, get a case in your favorite color, and even make your favorite song as your ringtone. Since you already saved up on getting an iPhone new case, you shouldn’t be spending on ringtones when you can get some for free.
Originally, you can buy ringtones on iTunes but that’s paying twice for one song; one for your music library, one as your ringtone. You can save up on customizing your songs by cutting the tracks and saving them on your iTunes. There are simple steps you need to follow in order to successfully add clips on your iPhone to work as your ringtone.
Some things you need to know and have before you can start the process of getting a customized ringtone. First is that you need a PC or Mac, and iTunes. Then you have to make sure that the song you are using is non-DRM, which means that it’s not protected by copyrights. Songs from iTunes are examples of DRM protected songs. Once you have what you need, you may begin the process.
1. Open your iTunes and locate the song you want as ringtone. Listen to the song and list down the time frame you want as ringtone. Note that you can only choose 40 seconds from the track.
2. When you have your time frame, right-click on the song and “Get Info”. A new window while popup, click “Options” tab. Fill the “Start Time” and “End Time” with the time frame that you listed down and follow the minutes:seconds format. Click on “OK” when you’re done.
3. Right click on the song again and choose “Convert Selection to AAC”. iTunes will convert the song to this format and will create a duplicate version.
4. Right click on the ringtone and choose “Delete” then “Keep Files”.
5. Now you have to look for the file on your folder, it should be on Music > iTunes > and under the band’s name.
6. The file extension should be m4a and you must change this to m4r by renaming the file. You will then receive a warning message, choose “Use .m4r”.
7. After renaming the file, double-click on the ringtone to launch it on iTunes. This will automatically put the file on your ringtones folder and you can now connect and sync your iPhone to get your ringtone.
Now you can have as many ringtones without having to shell out some hard earned cash.